Wednesday, January 23, 2013

On Your Mark, Get Set, GO!

On Your Mark: 
These past five days were spent saying many goodbyes. On my last day of classroom observation in Chicago Ridge, I received "advice" and many cards from the fourth graders in the class I have been observing since September. They decided to surprise me at the end of my last day and lined up to read their cards out loud and smother me with hugs. What a blessing those children are. My desire to become a teacher has never been so affirmed before. The next day, my family threw me a little going away party. Talk about delicious food!



I got an apple from a student :)

So blessed with going away gifts from my students, family, and friends. 
Get Set:
Packing. What an experience. It is so hard to pack for the unknown. Here is a photo of my life (for about 3 months) in two 50 lbs suitcases, one carry-on, and a back-pack:

I packed light right?

Go:
Thus begins the journey of a lifetime. I am nervous. I am excited. I am frightened to leave. I am ready to go.

"I know Who goes before me, I know Who stands behind. The God of angel armies is always by my side."- Chris Tomlin 

The beautiful thing about studying abroad is that I have no clue what to expect! The sights, the smells, the people, the food, the culture- everything will be new to me. Yet, I know that I can fully expect that this experience will challenge me and make me grow- and that is what I want. Studying abroad is one of the coolest experiences I have ever had the privilege to take advantage of, and I haven't even stepped outside of the country yet! It has already began changing me for the better and I hope you all look forward to meeting the new and improved 'Jess' in May because I cannot guarantee I will be the same one you sent to Africa when I get back. 


The next 104 days will be spent with friends (new and old), families, professors, and the occasional giraffe. It will be filled with much laughter, many tears (joyful and sorrowful), beautiful smiles, the occasional sunburn (OK probably more than occasional for me), stomach issues (hopefully not), shouts of joy, praises to God, and some deep self-reflection.

I want to look back on this trip and know that I made myself step outside of my comfort zone and followed God's will for my life. I most nervous about the culture shock and the things that will be out of my control-like the elections in March. I am most excited for the wildlife, the theology courses, making new friends, and church!

I will not have an address in Kenya and my phone number will be different so please only contact me through email, Facebook, and this blog. I will be in touch as soon as possible with some potentially funny travel stories & group pictures! :) Please be praying for our group as we head out into the unknown on this amazing journey!!

(If you want to check out what the weather is like where I'm at, use The Weather Channel online for daily weather updates!)

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! This is going to be an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! so excited for you and praying for you! cant wait to hear allll about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so excited for you and are praying everyday!! Can't wait to hear about your amazing experience. Briella has the picture of you two in her room :) she misses you already!

    ReplyDelete