Sunday, March 31, 2013

Resurrection Sunday

I was sitting here wallowing, thinking about family, church, food, chocolate, lamb cake, Easter eggs, all the things that I associate with Easter, wishing I could teleport home for the weekend, when I realized that no matter where I am, one thing remains constant: the real reason for Easter and why I celebrate it.

Jesus died on the cross and rose again, offering a brand new start for all who believe in Him and I am whining over Reese's peanut butter eggs? What is wrong with that picture?

I woke up this morning with a horrible attitude, not wanting to go to church because I knew it was not going to be the same. I thought to myself, "It's not 'my church'." Jessica! What is wrong with you? You are a part of THE church! The body of Christ is "your church" wherever you are!

Then, when I was actually at church, there was a handful of children from Mulandi Primary school where Hannah student taught. The entire sermon, I heard one of the girls whispering behind me to Dara about Hannah. She was asking her where Hannah went and when she was coming back? My heart was so warm hearing them talk so fondly of Hannah.

Right after the service a few of the girls named Mary, Wendy, and Judy came up to me, alongside some younger girls, and asked me if I was going to stay forever and why Hannah isn't coming back? I tried my best to explain. They did not seemed satisfied with my responses.

Then out of no where, they started singing and signing "Our God is an Awesome God." Hannah had taught them how to sign this song in ASL during her time at Mulandi. We then went over the alphabet and how to sign your name and say hello. I was loving it! They asked if I would come and teach their class. They actually fought over which grade I should teach because they all wanted a teacher like Hannah.

Hannah truly made a difference for her students during her short time with them. They will never forget her, the things she taught them, and stories she told them. I want to make an impact like that one day. An impact that might not seem so monumental on the grand scheme of things, but that is monumental on an individual scale. Hannah may not have solved all of Kenya's education system problems, or provided an entire community with clean water for life, but she surely made a difference in the lives of her students. People like Hannah, that use gifts like teaching to share God's love, are truly an inspiration to me. It was like God was reminding me of why I am here and what He wants me to do with my life. Thank you Lord for that reminder.

Another thing that "hit me" at that service was when the Pastor asked us to turn to our neighbor and share what is special to us about Easter. I immediately thought of traditions and that without Christ rising, Christianity would not exist. While I was sharing these things with the person next to me, I heard the little girl behind me telling Dara how cool it is that the Easter story never changes, but it is still the coolest story ever, every year! What a simple, child-like answer that rings of such truth! How awesome is the Easter story you ask?

Matthew 28:1-10
After the Sabbath  as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men.

But the angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, 'He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him.' This is my message for you."

So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

Suddenly Jesus met them and said, "Greetings!" And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me. 


That awesome! 

Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed! 

Happy Easter! 

Some of my sisters in Christ ready for an Easter service at Lukenya Community Church! 

No comments:

Post a Comment