Monday, February 18, 2013

Rendille Day 2 (and 3)

After one of the most sleepless nights of this trip so far, we woke up to a cool breeze, chai tea, and some amazing pancakes. By amazing, I mean AMAZING! We sprinkled some sugar on them for an extra sweet treat. I'm sitting here drooling thinking about them. Then, Jeff let us know that after much searching and asking around, he has located some camels for us to see. The plan is to take a drive through the desert to one of the most beautiful Rendille villages, and that among the camels we will see on the way, we will be taking a half hour hike to a natural pool/waterfall.

pancakes from heaven above!
First, we go to church! Church was very interesting. We were able to meet 3 girls who had just moved to Korr for the year to be school teachers. They were very inspiring. The sermon was given by a missionary who has been living in Korr for about 30 years I believe. The sermon was very westernized and was about the upcoming March elections. The music was fantastic and my favorite part was watching Shemi (Asaaska's brother) play the keyboard while a man with down syndrome broke out in some mad dance moves next to him! :)

Shemi and his dancing friend!
Before we left for our adventure, two goats were slaughtered for our party that night. I opted out of watching this event unfold and stayed behind with Kaitlan and Jeff's mother. The thought enough made me squirm. Everyone else went to watch and most of the guys tasted it's fresh, warm blood (a very nutrient rich delicacy).

Finally, we get on the bus and begin our trek to find the camels. Taking this ride in the desert to our location made me realize how remote this part of Kenya really is and how impressive it is that the people Rendille thrive here. (The Rendille are a semi-nomadic tribe who are camel herders and believe in the god Waaq). Along the way, we saw many people herding their goats, a herd of camels, a herd of baby camels, many villages, and we even picked up a woman who was walking back to her village with water from Korr (a 20 kilometer walk that she makes everyday). Rendille people rarely ever complain...if I was in this woman's shoes, I would really struggle with that one.

Woman who walks 20 Kilometers everyday for water & other supplies. 
Baby Camels
photo cred: Tyler Minnesma
chilling with the camels!
Photo Cred: Kaitlan Spencer
The drive was breathtaking but nothing compares to the waterfall. It was magnificent. It was so smooth that we used it as a water slide and the pool at the bottom was perfect for swimming in. If that isn't cool enough on it's own, three camels and some cows showed up to join the fun! Camels make the silliest noises- almost like a cow mooing...but more like a cow dying.

natural water slide!
photo cred: Dara Veenstra
God moment: A few guys in our group were planning on making a short documentary on the camels in Rendille, but we weren't sure if we would see any because they had relocated due to a drought in the area we were in. Then, we were able to not only see a herd of camels, but to see a heard of baby camels, and have some camels at the waterfall. This was more than any of us could have asked for. The guys got some amazing shots, and I cannot wait to see the finished product!

water fall slide!
Pool with the camels by us!
Photo cred: Dara Veenstra
I still cannot grasp whether or not all of the things we encountered and were a part of this weekend were real life or not. It is too unbelievable. I would have never guessed in a million years that my life would find me here, in Kenya, having the adventure of a lifetime. I sure hope I am not peaking at 19, and the neat things is, I'm probably not! So, I must have some pretty sweet adventures awaiting me in my future! The longer I am here, the more I am realizing how much I thought I knew...and how little I actually know. My future is a mystery to me and I like it that way. I wouldn't want to know what's ahead anyways; that spoils the surprise and only makes me anxious. I am trying to break habits on this trip. Worrying, and over-analyzing are two of them. Slowly but surely I will get better...I hope. Haha.

Side note: I would just like to say that if you get the opportunity to do something extraordinary, like studying abroad, going on a road trip, taking the train downtown, learning a new language or culture, going to a concert with friends, visiting other states, going to college in other states...DO IT! Do fun, new, exciting things...Kids, be responsible and earn your parents trust so you can do things like that! Experience life to it's fullest! Take risks, and advantage of your youth. Don't be irresponsible. You may never get those opportunities again and you don't learn life by sitting at home being careful...you learn it by going out and doing things! I was always afraid to go downtown, or to ask to do certain things or go certain places. Not because what I wanted to do was bad, just because they were things that were out of my comfort zone. I didn't think I could do it. I didn't believe in my abilities. Now that I am out in the world doing things and taking opportunities I never thought I would have, I realize how much time I wasted in my comfort zone. A family friend of mine who lives in Nigeria once had a status that said, "The safest place to be is in the center of God's will." So, if God gives you an amazing opportunity, I say, DO IT! If he calls you to go somewhere you never would have guessed, I say, GO! People would ask me if I was scared going to Kenya, and I would just think to myself...you know, if God wants to call me home, He is going to do it whether I am in Africa or whether I am in IL, so I might as well take this chance and see how God works through me and uses me. I know that going to a concert, or on a road trip might not be a "calling from God," but it is still an awesome thing that we are blessed to have the opportunity to take advantage of so I say, why not? Rant over.

On the way back to Korr, we stopped for some good old fashion bird hunting and we picked up fire wood for a bonfire. I almost felt guilty using the wood for entertainment, knowing how precious wood is and how deforestation is effecting this region. I was also able to stop by one of our new friend's house to try and see his sister. His name is Marmellow and he doesn't get to stop by home often. His sister was out of town visiting a doctor because she has been sick, but I was able to meet his little sisters and his older sister's mother in law. She was very kind and wanted me to take her picture. She said that she would have cooked me a meal had she known that I was coming. She seemed very flattered that I was there. She also sold me one of her handwoven baskets for 80 bob (less than a dollar). What a steal! Seriously though, I felt like I was stealing. I should have offered her more, but I did't want to be that mzungu (white person) who insulted such a sweet lady.

shooting at birds

Marmellow's sister's mother in law and his sister

Marmellow with his sister holding the woven basket his sister's mother in law sold to me
Awesome lady who filled up the land cruiser with fire wood!
Tyler, Hannah, Becca, and I were able to drive back to Korr in the land cruiser. We drove on a dirt road through the open desert and at about a third of the way back to Korr, we all decided to stand up outside the windows and let the wind blow our hair, as we stared up at the billions of visible stars, and saw hares and mice dodge our vehicle. It was probably the coolest drive I have ever taken. It was one of those moments where we just looked across the vehicle at each other and thought to ourselves, wow, is this really happening? I could have driven in that land cruiser in the open air with my friends all night.

That night we ate the goats that were slaughtered for us. They were delicious. They even served the intestine, which is a delicacy among the Rendille. There was also a tomato and onion dish that I ate WAY to much of. I cannot get enough of vegetables here. I crave veggies non stop. What I would do for some Chipotle or a salad right now...not to say I haven't enjoyed the food here. I have. It's amazing, I will miss it when I'm in the States again...but you always want what you can't have right?

Also, I cannot wait to learn how to make chipati (amazing tortilla like things), mandazi (sweet puffy bread...kinda like an unfilled fried donut), and nyama choma (roasted goat meat) to make for you all when I get back. I'm not sure where I will get the goat though. I will also be making you Daystar's version of spaghetti and meat balls. I love it! It is spaghetti with fresh cilantro and tomato cut up and then a thin meat sauce with potatoes on top. It is the BEST! Yummm, the food here is great and doesn't leave you feeling greasy and bloated after...unless you eat a lot of chips (fries)...that'll do it.

After dinner, Shemi (Asaaska's brother) joined us by the fire, along with our other new friends/translators and we drank cold soda and ate...wait for it...BROWNIES!!! We were so thrilled! Then warriors from a surrounding village came to join us and dance. Tribal dancing is so cool to watch in person let alone take part in. I had such a good time. I usually am a horrible dancer, but I'd like to think that I picked up traditional Rendille dance moves fairly quickly. It was so fun! I couldn't stop. The dancing is a sort of head bob, jumping up and down, and walking in a circle dance. I will just have to show you in person when I get back. You know that feeling you get after you are in water all day riding waves? That kind of rocking you feel when you lay down? Well, after dancing non-stop for quite some time, when I laid down that night, I still felt like I was bobbing to the music. Such a sweet feeling!

I slept like a baby that night. The desert breeze is so cool and refreshing at night. The next morning we ate amazing pancakes again :) and scrambled ostrich egg. One egg fed our whole group! We also burned and ate natural chewing gum and used thorns as toothpicks and a certain kind of stick as toothbrushes. Then we went into town to buy sandals made out of old car tires. Asaaska's sister went with us and brought out a bag of shoes and dumped them on the dirt floor. She told us to pick the pair that fit closest to our actual size and then we headed over to the shoe maker to get them adjusted. The shoes were just pieces of tires held together by some nails poking out the bottom. The fitting of the shoes was a much longer process than we thought. Once the shoe maker adjusted the straps and flattened the nails sticking out the bottom, we were on our way!

toothpicks! 

chewing gum being burned
photo cred: Dara Veenstra
breakfast!
photo cred: Tyler Minnesma
my new shoes!
We said our goodbyes and got back on our charter planes and flew back to Nairobi. On the way home, our pilot flew very low and took us by some awesome waterfalls embedded in the mountain sides. It was breathtaking. One cool thing about going back to Daystar after this weekend away was that for the first time for many of us it felt like home. The familiarity was something we looked forward to and I can say that we feel a sense of belonging and community here in Athi River.

This weekend is forever ingrained in my memory and I never thought I would be able to say this, but I think it was the best weekend of my entire life so far. One of the girls in our group tried to explain it by comparing it to that feeling you have at church camp. You don't ever want to leave, and you never want to forget the things you felt and learned. Slowly the feeling fades, but it is one you try to get back and will forever hold onto in your heart.

See you next time Korr!
Photo cred: Paige Alston

3 comments:

  1. i love this! thanks for the rant about living life to the fullest. =) and ostrich egg? how was that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very yellow because the yolk was so huge but it was very flavorful and they cooked it in a spice (it might have just been pepper) but it had such a strong flavor...in a good way!

      Delete
  2. I want to get a goat so I can sell it's milk so maybe I can get two and we can butcher one so you can make us food back here next year :)

    ReplyDelete